Tuesday, June 08, 2010

Sometimes You Aren't Knitting For The Person You Think You Are

So, I have these socks I'm knitting.  They are out of some yarn I got from Webs and dyed ages ago.  My idea was to try it out to see if I wanted to add it to my line of hand dyed.  It is a regular wool/nylon sock yarn and I had two skeins to try.  I dyed them both in greens and blues.  My friend Wren fell in love with the color but someone else got the extra skein and I kept this one to try knitting myself. 
First, I cast on the socks for myself.  I got the toes done and they languished.  I then unravelled them a bit and changed the size to be for my cousin's wife and they languished.  Sunday night I picked them up to finish them but they were fighting me.  I pulled off the toes I'd started and cast on again.  This time I got the toes done but slowly realized that these socks are not for my cousin's wife.  These socks are for Wren!  Since I realized this, they've been coming right along and should be done by next week. 
Hi Wren, I'll call you when your socks are ready.

4 comments:

Wren Ross said...

OMG!!! I AM SO EXCITED!! (cue the violins): NO ONE HAS EVER KNIT ANYTHING FOR ME (on purpose, that is-I've gotten gloves that didn't fit people but never with me in mind)
Thanks so much - Ms Lucy, you really rock!!!
I'm psyched!

Lucy said...

I'm so glad you are excited! Those of us who knit a lot, don't tend to have someone knit something for us. I thought you'd get a kick out of them. They are your socks anyway. Clearly, trying to knit them for anyone else just wasn't working.

Wren said...

Thanks again Lucy!
It gives me a whole new perspective to be on this side of the needles....Wow!
It is a very full and happy feeling. I will call those blue and green socks that Lucy knit for me my "happy socks." Next time I feel glum, I will just have to slip on those socks and dance around.

Lorena said...

This blog post needs a "like" button!