Tuesday, May 09, 2006

Rainy Day Bike Ride

So here I am making my second blog post! I’m actually going to try to add pictures today. We’ll see how I do.
Today is Tuesday, so I headed up to Arlington (about 4 miles) to see my grandmother at the nursing home. She’s going to be 103 years old on Sunday! Yes, you read that right, 103. I will do more of a post about her on Sunday. For those of you who don’t know much about me, I love to ride my bike and am really psyched that cycling season is here! Anyway, it wasn’t raining when I started out. It was a bit windy but not bad. All in all, I had a nice ride up and a nice visit. Unfortunately, when I came out, it had started raining. Riding in the rain doesn’t bother me all that much, especially when there’s a hot bath and a warm change of clothes waiting for me at home. If I was camping somewhere, I’d be singing a different tune. One thing I did discover is that my bargain rack windbreaker is waterproof! Hooray! The other thing is that I’m never having a bad day when I’m wearing my….



COOKIE MONSTER SOCKS!

Somewhere next to the soft spot on my heart for warm hand knit socks is an equally warm spot for goofy, brightly colored cycling socks. I think if I had to pick my favorite, it would be a tie between Cookie and my pink flamingo socks. There are also the cloudy sky socks, the skeleton socks and the flame socks. I just love them all and can’t wait to see what crazy socks they’ve come out with this year!
Well, now that I was all bathed and dry and dressed, I had to go back out into the rain again to go to the post office which is okay because I was going there to mail the first skein of yarn I SOLD ON ETSY! Hooray! Someone actually bought some sock yarn. Thank you to Patience and Guido kicking my butt until I actually set up the Etsy store!
I’m going to finish up with the first of my current UFOs. I figure I can handle it if I just do a little at a time.


This is a sock I started a week or so ago. I thought it was for me but it is actually for a friend of mine. How do I know? The sock told me. This is not strange to me. I ask you, fellow knitters, is this strange to you? Apparently, it was a little strange to the person they are for. Not that he said anything but he gave me that look. And then I started to feel like I’d said something weird. But it seems perfectly logical to me. I start things all the time that aren’t necessarily for the person I intended them for. Mostly, I just go with it. I mean really, I’m not one to argue with the sock.
Anyway, more UFOs tomorrow and maybe some links. Happy knitting!

9 comments:

Rosemary said...

Congrats on the store!

Will you please stash a skein of Tangerine Rose for me to purchase when I visit at the end of May.

Lucy said...

Done. See you in a few weeks!

ZantiMissKnit said...

I've never had something I've knit tell me it is for someone else. I've had something I've knit for someone else try to stay with me, however.

Welcome to the Blog World! I hope to be in the shop again soon -- I was only in once, a year ago!

ZantiMissKnit said...

I've never had something I've knit tell me it is for someone else. I've had something I've knit for someone else try to stay with me, however.

Welcome to the Blog World! I hope to be in the shop again soon -- I was only in once, a year ago!

Monica said...

Love the Cookie Monster socks!

Lucy said...

I was so excited when I found those socks at the bike store!

Anonymous said...

it's like michelangelo said- he got blocks of marble, and rather than carve the stone, he checked it out, and just took out the parts that didn't go there, assuming that the sculpture was already in the rock. you know, telling him what it was.

ok. it's not really like that. but that's what it made me think of. and yeah, it's definitely happened to me.

i know you asked how long it had been since i spun- it's been awhile (unfortunately!) but i actually have to get to it- two of the girls at the vet knit, and implied they would love a skein of the otis. i think i want to blend it with other stuff (pretty colors of merino-tensel?), but i'll probably have to check with you first re: technique for blending it in, and washing or not when i'm done.

Yay grandma! is she still in the same place? does she (and you guys) like it there? i always thought that place was pretty legit.

Anonymous said...

and ps- "he" is getting socks? who is the mystery man? anyone we know?

Lucy said...

Melissa, Try on ply angora, one merino/tencel. I did a lot of that kind of thing when I was spinning angora. A little angora goes a long way.
"He" is one of the Zen Masters at the Zen Center and is the one that I end up talking to the most. For putting up with my bumbling pursuit of Zen practice, the least the guy deserves is a pair of socks :-)